May 24, 2011

Viva Ristorante - Hong Kong

Candy says,


It was Ash Wednesday in a foreign city and our first priority was to find a church.  We had no idea what we were going to do for supper.

As we walked down towards the MTR, on our way back,  I said to John "take me somewhere Italian" and at that moment we passed a restaurant only to find that it was,  amazingly enough, an Italian Restaurant.

It was a small place seating only about 12 people inside and about 8 outside but the music and the ambience was appealing so we decided to give it a try.

First to arrive was a bread basket along with ample supplies of olive oil and a good balsamic vinegar.  We ordered a bottle of Italian red wine.  It was really good but very pricey.  I had to use both hands to lift the glass as the wine was served in brandy snifters which were difficult to handle with one hand especially after dipping your bread in the Evoo.

Next we ordered the tomato and lemon soup.  It was a perfect blend of tomato, lemon and basil,  divinely delicious.  By then our bread basket was empty and they brought us another.  Next we shared a Margherita Pizza with thin crust, just the way we like it.

John being a sweet tooth, there always has to be dessert, so we ended off the evening with home-made Tiramusu and cappuccino's.  Even my no-fun one (decaf) was good, but the Tiramisu was disappointing.

Our bill was over R700, which in my humble opinion, was far too much.  I think what redeemed them was, the very homey feeling of the place and the friendly interaction and attentiveness of the staff.

I would give this restaurant a 7 out of 10.

2 comments:

  1. I am very fussy about my tiramisu', in fact I rarely order one in restaurants, I prefer my own :-)

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :-) I'm very happy you like it.

    ReplyDelete

A Touchy Subject

Three words often showing up in the media at the moment is mental health awareness . It seems every time I open a news app or even Facebook ...