The one thing in this world I really hate is wasting food, so this morning when I discovered two very sad-looking bananas in my fruit bowl I knew it was time to get out the old Banana Muffin recipe and put them to good use.
Spread with butter and drizzled with honey these make a fantastic afternoon snack or serve them with cream cheese and diced bacon for an alternative breakfast.
50g castor sugar (2oz superfine sugar)
150ml milk (5 fl oz or just over half a cup)
50g melted butter / baking margarine (2oz)
2 over ripe bananas mashed with a fork
275g self-raising flour (10oz)
1tsp baking powder (5ml)
1tsp ground cinnamon (5ml)
Paper muffin cases or use silicone muffin cups so they slide out easily
- Heat over to 200C (400F or gas 6)
- Line a muffin pan with the paper cases.
- Wisk eggs, sugar, milk and butter together in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the mashed banana, baking powder, flour and cinnamon till the mixture is just combined, do not over mix.
- Spoon mixture into prepared muffin pan and bake for about 30 min or untill golden brown and cooked through.
- Let them stand for about 5 min in the baking dish before taking them out and serving, they are delicious hot or cold.